If you are like our family, Memorial Day weekend was spent relaxing, enjoying family, barbequing, playing cards and going to the movies. Memorial Day weekend has become a three-day celebration of the start of summer. However, I believe it is important for children, and especially teenagers, to understand the true meaning of why we commemorate Memorial Day. Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for those who gave their lives to serve our country and keep us safe.
If you spent your weekend enjoying family activities, than you might want to spend this week educating your children on the true meaning of Memorial Day. These activities would make a great start to an educational summer:
2. All ages: Interview and spend time talking with a veteran.
3. All ages: Volunteer at a veteran’s shelter
4. For elementary children: Read one of the following books:
· Let's Get Ready for Memorial Day by Lloyd G. Douglas
· Memorial Day Surprise by Theresa Golding
· Memorial Day by Christian Ditchfield
5. For elementary children: Draw, paint or create a collage of the United States Map
If you would like more information about Memorial Day: